Hi, I’m Jane. 👋
My blog name’s a portmanteau of Jane and encyclopedia, so you can’t miss it. I’ve been at this rodeo for about a decade now, so there’s a lot of history my blog covers. Think of it as an ever-present coming-of-age journey, for better or worse.
Someone once told me I’m like a Sour Patch Kid, but they weren’t one of those people. 🤷♀️ I’m not one for personality tests, but apparently I’m a Hufflepuff/Thunderbird resident, with a grass snake as my patronus and a unicorn hair wand. My sense of humor runs dry and dark; it’s not for everyone. I’m seldom into sweet, sappy stories and grow impatient if no one dies or cheats—probably because I grew up on Lifetime and That ’70s Show. I prefer books, cats and plants over people.
Though I seldom look it, I’m like 27, almost 28. I currently live in Garland. I love visiting museums in the DFW area and an allergen-friendly food festival every year.
No controversial topic is off limits here. I ask questions no one else seems to be asking. I’m comfortable in who I am and what I believe, enough to pose the questions I do. Janepedia isn’t meant to be your guilty pleasure, but if you’re the type of person to love juicy posts such as mine? All the better.
More ish about me
1. I’m Hard of Hearing (HoH). I don’t yet know ASL, but it’s something I’d like to learn, because I often feel as though my life would be easier if I signed—and if I were able to communicate with people around me who signed, because verbal communication is often difficult for me.
2. I consider myself a Jill-of-several-trades and master of many. Life’s too short to only do one thing for the entirety of it. My hobbies include binging fiction, coloring with crayons in children’s coloring books, cruising Pinterest, gardening, and learning Japanese 🇯🇵.
3. I recently developed an interest in herbal tea. My overall favorites are peppermint and rooibos.
4. Propriety was not a cornerstone of my childhood, to many relatives’ dismays. I engage in toilet humor more in private conversations, but it shouldn’t come as a shocker here.
5. My great grandmother (Mama Lois), grandmother (Mimi) and aunt (Bebe) raised me to be a somebody, not somebody’s. My life revolves not around someone else. While I did falter on this during my dark years, I learned how to be complete as a single person, rather than as someone in a relationship. I learned to be whole rather than an incomplete, half person.
6. My soda consumption is less than that of the average American. When I want something different, I drink Mott’s for Tots juice, smoothies or True Citrus drink mix-ins. I typically stick to soda if and when my mood calls for it. Up to once a day, I drink herbal tea.
7. I’ve lived all over Texas, to my childhood definition: Crandall, Seagoville, San Antonio, Pflugerville, Austin, Round Rock, Forney, Euless, Wills Point, Garland—to the ones I remember.
Jane + pedia
I wanted a blog name that
- sounded the way it was spelt,
- was spelled the way it sounded, and
- was easy to say.
I’d been working on various Wikia communities at the time, so suffix pedia was in my head. My blog has always been more personal than anything, and define yourself took residence in my head for several years, so Janepedia seemed fitting. I didn’t initially register the domain to use it for my blog, but it grew on me fast. All the plain-Jane domains were taken, so I took it as a sign.