Popular blog trends I don’t like
I feel like 2013 brought a lot of new bloggers — most of which only started blogging for “easy money” — and with these bloggers, new trends and other crap was brought into our world. Yes, I said crap. You got a problem with that? o.-
Uh, I’m probably gonna offend someone.
- Blog hops. In the old days, blog hopping referred to actual blog hopping, where you went to a blog, commented, then browsed their blogroll and/or their commenters and did the same thing on whichever link you clicked. Nowadays, you just add your link to a thing and call it a day. Man! You must be exhausted!
- Linkups. How are these any different from your blog hops? Sure, there are some legitimate ones, but for the most part, these are just an excuse to gather traffic on your site from people who want to just link their site and leave. That’s all they really care about. They most likely don’t care about you, me or anyone else who linked themselves on your linkup.
- Easy money idea & advertising. It gets to be really annoying when I see my AdBlock showing that I have 25 blocked ads. By default, I block ads. You kinda have to earn your way into my non-sleazy pile for me to unblock you. Those on my blogroll have passed, and then others. But just know it gets annoying when I find that they’re causing the site to load slowly. Got ads at the bottom on your sidebar? No one’s gonna see those, sweetie. The footer is seen more often, I think.
- Cluttered sidebars. Kinda goes with the previous one; I just feel like people are trying to use their sidebars to tell me their life story or something. It reminds me of one of the lame homeschool playdates I had to go on.
- Comments. I feel like so many of the people who fit this entire list encourage others to comment but don’t ever actually comment back unless it’s a reply on their blog saying, “Thanks!”, “Thanks for stopping by!” or something along those lines. I know I’m not perfect, but at least I try. And I do eventually. Sometimes it just takes a month. (With it being the holidays, I aim to catch up by January.)