Who I write like
Something I’ve been meaning to do for a while is pass my writing through I Write Like again. Who I write like varies per character and blog post, but it’s a fun little thing, and I find myself wanting to read things by those particular people if I like that particular writing style I passed through the program.
- Ashton: Oscar Wilde (I used the snippet I shared a bit back)
- Rowena: …mostly like J.K. Rowling. I passed ~10 samples through the system. One landed William Shakespeare, one (a snippet where she was extremely vulnerable) landed Kurt Vonnegut. Only on my off days does she come across as someone besides J.K. Rowling…maybe it’s because she’s intellectual and fiery, and isn’t that what Hermoine Granger is like?
- Jared: Kurt Vonnegut, all the way. Vulnerability is becoming a theme with Kurt Vonnegut.
- Isabelle: It’s honestly a tie between James Joyce and J.K. Rowling.
- Wesley: Mostly Robert Louis Stevenson, sometimes H.P. Lovecraft.
- Maia: Usually H.P. Lovecraft; Stephanie Meyer on my off-Maia days. Maia requires a carefree, social approach that I don’t naturally have. >.<
- Cassie: Steven King… I put several through and couldn’t get anyone else? I’ve also not written her on any off-Cassie days yet, so that could also be the case. Like Jared, I can’t force writing with Cassie and make it work.
- Devon: Arthur Conan Doyle, Raymond Chandler, Robert Louis Stevenson…majority is the latter. He’s so much like a younger version of Wesley he could be related to him, so.
- Nathan: Varies greatly between Cory Doctorow and Margaret Mitchell; rarely Edgar Allen Poe (when I include his 5-year-old daughter’s dialogue).
- Olive: Mostly Mario Puzo, sometimes H.P. Lovecraft.
- Leda: James Joyce… Independent, headstrong women are a theme here? I passed many pieces through the thing, and I kept getting James Joyce. Since I really love how I write with her, I should probably check him out?
- Essie: Cory Doctorow (thrice), David Foster Wallace, J.K. Rowling, Gertrude Stein—you guys, she’s basically a bag of Skittles.
- Simon: Mostly Mary Shelley and one James Joyce; I don’t have much to judge him on, though.
- Preston: Mostly Dan Brown, one Robert Louis Stevenson.
- Hilary: Charles Dickens… I just have three posts to judge her on.
- Oblivion: Alien — Margaret Atwood
- Bucket lists — Cory Doctorow
- The Pickle Story — Stephen King
- Unwritten Farm Moments — David Foster Wallace
I’m too lazy to find more right now. 😡 Who do you write like?